Based: BioCity Glasgow, Newhouse
Are you looking for a career in a dynamic, fast-growing, science-led drug discovery company? A career where you will work with innovative research companies from across the globe, applying and developing your drug discovery skills, and helping our customers discover innovative medicines?
Founded in 2013, BioAscent is a leading provider of integrated drug discovery services based in state-of-the art labs at BioCity Glasgow in Newhouse, Scotland. Our integrated drug discovery services include de novo assay development, target analysis and bespoke screening strategies, compound screening, medicinal and synthetic chemistry, computational chemistry and compound management.
You will join a team of expert scientists with experience of successfully working from assay development through to preclinical and clinical candidates across all biological target classes and major therapeutic indications. We work closely with our clients who are looking for an expert, advisory CRO with a consultative and collaborative approach. We act as fully integrated drug discovery team members from the earliest stages of the process, allowing us to influence the project and help ensure the right decisions are made to maximise chances of success.
The biosciences department in BioAscent is looking for highly motivated Senior Scientists with excellent interpersonal and communication skills to join our growing biosciences team and deliver high quality integrated drug discovery services. You will take a leading role in drug discovery projects, planning and executing scientific studies to the highest of standards and liaising effectively with all project stakeholders, including external clients. You will use your significant knowledge of assay development to overcome the scientific and technical challenges that may arise in projects, and provide training, mentoring and supervision to new or junior staff members.
- Detailed planning of studies, including assessing resource requirements and estimating costs in the preparation of quotes for potential clients.
- Use your expert knowledge of assay development to trouble-shoot and overcome difficulties in developing difficult cellular, biochemical or biophysical assays.
- To develop and validate novel biophysical, biochemical and cellular assays.
- To execute client projects to an exceptionally high standard and within defined timelines.
- Lead the biology input on projects and work effectively in cross-disciplinary teams. When required, take a leading role in managing client projects, including communicating with and reporting to clients.
- Assess current working practices across the biosciences department and identify opportunities for improvements in processes, capabilities and the delivery of best practice in drug discovery.
- Supervise and provide training to junior/new biosciences team members.
- Reviewing reports and ensuring data quality.
- A PhD in in pharmacology, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology or a related discipline plus 3 or more years post-doctoral experience, ideally within the drug discovery industry or have a BSc/MSc plus significant (>7 years) experience in industry.
- In-depth knowledge of practical laboratory drug discovery techniques.
- Experience in the development of in vitro assays is essential (cellular, biochemical or biophysical).
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Experience and understanding of data analysis (the use of controls, plotting and visualising normalised/transformed data).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel is essential and knowledge of GraphPad Prism, XL Fit and/or the Dotmatics suite would be desirable).
- Experience of supervising other staff members is desirable.
- Familiarity with general laboratory automation would be desirable.
BioAscent offers a competitive salary, company pension scheme, 24 days holiday plus Bank Holidays and ongoing training and development opportunities. In addition, you will be joining a growing team and will be working in a supportive and fast-moving business.
To find out more and apply
Please note you must be eligible and able to work in the UK. Please include details of your eligibility in your covering letter.
Closing date: 2nd February 2020
We respectfully ask for no agencies.