Based: BioCity Glasgow, Newhouse
Are you looking for a career in a dynamic, fast-growing, science-led drug discovery company? A career where you will work with innovative research companies from across the globe, applying and developing your drug discovery skills, and helping our customers discover innovative medicines?
Founded in 2013, BioAscent is a leading provider of integrated drug discovery services based in state-of-the art labs at BioCity Glasgow in Newhouse, Scotland. Our integrated drug discovery services include de novo assay development, compound screening, medicinal and synthetic chemistry, computational chemistry and compound management.
You will join a team of expert scientists with experience of successfully working from hit identification through to preclinical and clinical candidates across all biological target classes and major therapeutic indications. We work closely with our clients who are looking for an expert, advisory CRO with a consultative and collaborative approach. We act as fully integrated drug discovery team members from the earliest stages of the process, allowing us to influence the project and help ensure the right decisions are made to maximise chances of success.
BioAscent is looking to recruit an experienced individual to lead the computational chemistry activities in a fast-growing, people-orientated services business.
The successful candidate will be a highly experienced scientist with a solid theoretical and practical experience of structure based and ligand-based design, cheminformatics, virtual screening, QSAR and data mining. An innovative problem-solver with an interest in hypothesis driven drug design to deliver the highest quality science that makes an impact on client projects.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Building and maintaining a state-of-the-art computational chemistry group
- Taking an active role to support and drive computational chemistry within client projects that advance them against key milestones
- Providing scientific leadership to the organisation in computational chemistry
- Working closely with business development and department heads to contribute to the assembly, costing, and presentation of project proposals
- Communication of your results both internally and externally and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Maintaining your knowledge of new trends and technologies and where appropriate implementing these within the company
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate or possess the following:
- Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Molecular Modelling, or another related discipline
- Minimum of ten years industry experience in computational chemistry within a CRO or pharmaceutical company
- Expertise in structure and ligand-based design
- Expertise in protein sequence analysis and homology modelling across a range of protein classes
- Expertise in retrieving and analysing data from multiple sources including the patent and scientific literature
- Expertise in applying modern cheminformatic methods to maximise knowledge from data
- A working knowledge of structural alerts, chemical stability, and organic chemistry
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively describe results and ideas
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Experience of interpreting SAR and producing tractable and rational plans for optimisation of compounds across a selection of properties e.g. bioactivity, DMPK, physicochemical properties
- Knowledge of common scripting languages, relational databases and pipelining tools
- Fragment-based drug discovery
Desirable individual characteristics should include
- Innovative and creative thinking
- Strong problem-solving skills
- A commitment to quality and scientific rigour
- Enthusiasm for generating knowledge from data
- A team player who is not afraid to take the lead, speak up, or compromise
You will have a flexible approach to your work, possess outstanding communication skills and be able to demonstrate your ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
To find out more and apply
Please note you must be eligible and able to work in the UK. Please include details of your eligibility in your covering letter.
Closing date for applications is Friday 25th September.
We respectfully ask for no agencies.